I boarded my plane to Mauritius at 3 am Dubai/Mauritius time. The two are in the same time zone, but do not be fooled. Though the two places have a similar longitude, their latitudes are quite different, another-seven-hours-on-a-plane different. And then I spent another two waiting in lines at customs. I can appreciate the slower pace of life. I cannot appreciate the slower pace of lines. My taxi driver met me outside the airport. I felt incredibly important, as he was holding a sign with my name. I felt less important when he could not even begin to pronounce it. For what it's worth, I couldn't pronounce his either. In any event, we struck off from the airport to Port Louis on the absolute other end of the island. Total travel time: 35 minutes. With traffic. Before arriving at my hotel, he stopped twice. Once to buy me a beer for the road- much appreciated. The other time we stopped so that he could show me a furnished apartment that his uncle owned. It was nice, but too far from campus. I also met his cousin, whose name I could not pronounce.
Of my giant first week checklist I've managed to accomplish two things. One: register with American embassy. Two: Open a bank account (with extreme difficulty). Next I have to acquire a cell phone and a permanent residence.
Also, in case I hadn't mentioned it before, this place is absolutely beautiful and exactly what I was hoping it would be. Furthermore, I would like to thank two people who will likely never see this: Priyam, my lovely banker woman who bent more than one rule to accommodate me, and the cleaning lady at my hotel who smiled at me this morning. Merci.

3 comments:
Dear Miles, I'm so excited about your journey and I feel like I'm going along through your eyes. Social networking is a good thing and putting on you best smile and just listening ( sometimes hard for me) allows you to learn many things. I hope you got the apartment.
Thinking about you and maybe your name really means ' travel'.
Love, Auntie A
Hope you enjoy your stay at Mauritius. take advantage of their wonderful beaches. Try 20 degrees.
It would be great to stay at Residence Mauritius. A very accommodating place.
Post a Comment